[?]
Not a member? Sign-up now, it's free!

Login

[?]
These are links to some of the major sections in the mixtape collective.
  • Lists: Browse various lists that are generated by the loads of data we have collected.
  • Contests: Check out the latest contests, see previous winners, and find out how you can be a part
  • Music: Check out our ever-growing database of musical knowledge! Use it to find any artist, album, or track that has been entered since the birth of the site and rate and find detailed usage statistics.

Main

[?]
Tired of looking at the same old pages? Try checking out a random one, you never know what you might find...

Random!

The Forum

The Collective / Mixtape Collective vs. Muxtape

The Level 5 Badge badge
The Level 5 Badge
Welcome to level 5! Keep up the hard work.
awarded on 2008-04-07

level 6
3 posts
"The Must List" in issue # 986 of Entertainment Weekly (EW) magazine recommends muxtape.com. I just emailed EW and told them to recommend Mixtape Collective instead. Is anyone here familiar with Muxtape? What's up with them stealing this idea?
[quote] -- 4/05/08 05:06pm
The Level 5 Badge badge
The Level 5 Badge
awarded on 2008-04-07

level 6
3 posts
...Hey, I just visited Muxtape. The big difference is they have actual songs in their database. However, their membership terms are very restrictive: "Muxtape is a service for creating mixtapes. Users may not upload multiple songs from the same album or artist, or songs they do not have permission to let Muxtape use. Individual users may not create multiple muxtapes. Accounts not meeting these restrictions are subject to termination without notice. Muxtape will never reveal your email address to a third party. Muxtape is alive."

It's cool to be able to actually hear people's mixes, but otherwise it's not so great. It must cost that site a fortune in licensing fees.
[quote] -- 4/05/08 05:16pm
The Level 5 Badge badge
The Level 5 Badge
awarded on 2008-04-07

level 6
3 posts
...Ah, it seems Muxtape doesn't pay licensing fees. They ask users to upload copyright-free material, but do not police content on the site. Here's an interesting blog entry on Muxtape: http://www.37signals.com/svn /posts/933-muxtape-beautifully-simple

Now that Entertainment Weekly has drawn attention to the site, it seems only a matter of time before major record labels and music licensing organizations descend on this site with cease-and-desist orders. Check it out while you can.
[quote] -- 4/05/08 05:56pm
The Yay! Badge IX badge
The Yay! Badge IX
This astonishing badge is bestowed to the MTC brethren who can truly conceptualize the wondrous spectacle and mind-altering ramifications of the of the elusive 'YAY!'.
awarded on 2008-08-17

level 36
496 posts
it appears the maximum is 12 songs per mixtape too.
[quote] -- 4/06/08 03:15am
The Yay! Badge IV badge
The Yay! Badge IV
A slightly exclusive (5 total) special badge bestowed to those who can truly understand the complicated, multifaceted intricacies and religion/cult-like implications of the phrase 'yay!'
awarded on 2006-10-10

level 14
25 posts
I made a mix on there, and it keeps getting screwed up. Like some of the tracks disappear, and the order keeps getting rearranged. Kind of got on my nerves...
[quote] -- 4/06/08 07:57am
The One Year Anniversary Badge badge
The One Year Anniversary Badge
Issued to those who have stuck it out for a year here on MTC. What a long, strange trip, huh?
awarded on 2007-10-11

level 14
261 posts
So apparently it's supposed to be copyright-free stuff, but the first mixtape I checked out on the site had Buddy Holly and Wu Tang Clan on it, both of which I'm pretty sure is copyrighted.
Soo,..yeah...whoever said they're about to get shut down is probably right...
[quote] -- 4/06/08 02:48pm
The Feedback Badge badge
The Feedback Badge
This badge is awarded to those who went above and beyond the call of duty and told us how much 'the Collective' really sucks.
awarded on 2006-03-13

level 16
241 posts
fuck that website. it's all "web 2.0"-looking, and way oversimplified, and apparently doesn't even work. journalists need to learn that simple isn't revolutionary.
[quote] -- 4/11/08 08:33pm
Issued to those who have stuck it out for a year here on MTC. What a long, strange trip, huh?
awarded on 2007-10-11

level 14
261 posts
Quoting jaysix:
fuck that website. it's all "web 2.0"-looking, and way oversimplified, and apparently doesn't even work. journalists need to learn that simple isn't revolutionary.

said the guy with the two-color layout for his latest design...

simple is good. and the site works. it just sucks. and the whole hex-color chart thing looks stupid.
[quote] -- 4/12/08 01:26am
Team Robot Member badge
Team Robot Member
Despite the fact that TEAM ROBOT was crushed like a Pabst can at a frat party by the might claws of TEAM MONSTER, you are still deserving of a badge... Loser.
awarded on 2006-10-18

level 40
254 posts
That other site doesn't appeal to me. I like the community aspect of MTC.
[quote] -- 4/14/08 02:18pm
The Yay! Badge IX badge
The Yay! Badge IX
This astonishing badge is bestowed to the MTC brethren who can truly conceptualize the wondrous spectacle and mind-altering ramifications of the of the elusive 'YAY!'.
awarded on 2008-08-17

level 36
496 posts
Upon further inspection, the way that people are able to use copyrighted music on there is because you can buy them from amazon specifically for your mix. Which is a cool idea. It also gives the people listening to the mix a link to purchase the song from. Its too bad the mp3's are likely to be DRM-ridden.

[quote] -- 4/17/08 09:09am
awarded on 2007-10-11

level 14
261 posts
That actually is a cool idea. The DRM thing is easy to get around, once you purchase it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/que stion/index?qid=20080126155610AAUtMaZ
[quote] -- 4/18/08 11:22am
The Serendipity Badge badge
The Serendipity Badge
You're just too good. In looking for one thing, you found another. Way to go, champ.
awarded on 2008-10-22

level 8
5 posts
it's not a bad site, it's just different. the good thing about the internet is that no two sites are mutually exclusive. muxtape offers individuals the chance to stream, almost like collecting miniature web radio stations. but the collective, is, well...a collective. both sites are in continual development, have consistent support and webmasters who are willing to take suggestions. check out my tape: tinylasers.muxtape.com. btw, i am way overdue to post some mixes here, stay tuned this weekend.
[quote] -- 4/18/08 05:03pm
The Yay! Badge IX badge
The Yay! Badge IX
awarded on 2008-08-17

level 36
496 posts
Quoting openmicmike:
That actually is a cool idea. The DRM thing is easy to get around, once you purchase it.http://answers.yahoo.com/que stion/index?qid=20080126155610AAUtMaZ

Yeah it is, but I prefer not to support the practice with money, thats all. Thats why i use emusic.
[quote] -- 4/18/08 05:25pm